Friday, October 8, 2010

A Knowledge Based Truth

It's time to return. Yet, it's time to take a step back from fiction. It's the reality of the matter that we are in it to help people. Treatment. Differential. Diagnosis. Or was that backwards? Or was that mismatched? It doesn't matter. What does matter, is that the level of stress has elevated to the point of disgrace. I recently recalled what an instructor said about a year ago: "As first years, you all care. By the time you're a third year you'll feel like a robot and all you'll be doing is looking for the right answer, disregarding the person you are treating as a person. And then you'll spend all of fourth year relearning how to be a good person." Ironically, I'm starting to see that emerge from me. And I could say I saw it coming and should have prevented it. But it's not my fault. Heck, I can't even blame the teachers or the school. It's the system.

This might end up being a bit of rant right now. But that's what I do. I rant. And clearly, it's the system. The liberal hippie mindset that we should all get four years of freedom to enjoy ourselves. Yeah, it was great. I had a blast. But seriously, what did I get out of those four years? I made it to 22, met a few interesting people, did some cool things, and learned obscure facts. But now, in another four years I'm supposed to turn around and help people. I think we can all agree, until the length of each day increases by a couple of hours, that is impossible.

Of course, it is inappropriate to go on this rant since thousands of mindless souls have succumb to this yellow brick road in the past, and thousands more will enter and stroll along in the future. But as I am on the road, I have the gifted opportunity and bestowed knighthood to just be a bit disgruntled, a bit stubborn, and perhaps ... positively a coccus.

No comments:

Post a Comment