Sunday, June 20, 2010

The End of a Year

... Part fiction ... Part truth ...

We rose to the occasion. Yet, when we all woke up the following morning, it was disappointingly apparent that we still didn’t know anything. At least to me, I knew I could regurgitate facts – random factoids of a condition, a pathway, brilliancy to the human body and knowledge gained through scientific development. What I couldn’t do was present that information coherently, with the fervor and assertion that I knew what the fuck I was talking about. I couldn’t answer a question beyond the basic science. It was and is that heart wrenching standstill, where the more we learn, the more we know we don’t know one ounce of medical knowledge.

I have that arrogance about being humble. About being able to absorb a ton of information, while holding my head high and calm in light of everything that is in front of me. Unfortunately, I can’t show off to that girl next to me because she’s just as boastful as I am. This is where your close friends come in handy. They will worship your word, pity your suffering, and show some mild jealousy.

Still, tonight there is no jealousy. There is no arrogance. There is simply a ton of drunken medical students taking over the town. We’re still twenty-somethings caught in a web of maturity – a forced state we’re supposed to live in, while watching our mates suffer through some useless crap.

The above is an original piece of work by the author of this page. Any attempt to reproduce it will be deemed plagiarism.

1 comment:

  1. Given that the weight of the average male brain is 49.5 ounces, that the frontal cortex is roughly 1/4 the size of the whole brain (12.3 ounces)...I'd say 1 ounce of medical knowledge might indeed be a whole lot, sir.

    ReplyDelete